After the travelling photographer, Heinrich Franz, settled in Titisee with his family in 1901, he opened a photo kiosk in what is today Seestrasse. His son, Karl Franz, acquired a plot opposite to the railway station and in 1925 built the Fotohaus Franz along with the Pension Waldeck (guesthouse Waldeck). In 1926, the guesthouse was put into operation with three employees. The originally-planned opening day had to be postponed because an employee dropped a tray carrying all the dishes.
During the Second World War, the still small hotel was damaged by bombs, but fortunately not destroyed. At that time, the building served as a children’s home until Walter and Gertrud Franz rebuilt the family business in the post-war years. Walter Franz was a passionate collector of antique clocks – very much in the spirit of the Schwarzwälder (Black Forest) clock tradition.
In 1985, they passed the Waldeck Hotel to the next generation. Hans-Jörg and Margot Franz expanded the hotel continuously, the Waldeck would then become a hotel with 50 beds. In 1989, they took over the neighboring hotel Kehrwieder from the Bank family. The merger created the new hotel operation Parkhotel Waldeck with approximately 100 beds.
In 2010, the hotel went to Christian Franz and entered its fourth generation. The still young hotelier runs the Parkhotel Waldeck with 35 employees.